Monday, February 18, 2013

#8 Oriental Personality

It's a public holiday today in America, but I only got to know about it at 12 noon. Not quite sure what day it is though. But anyway, I did a bit of work, and spent a big bulk of the afternoon just reminiscing my days in Shanghai, then coming to realise how oriental I am - Duh.


I so miss my days in SH. I was young, in school, and carefree. 

But anyway, as much as we'd like to think of ourselves as westernised individuals, being in America has made me come to terms with the fact that I am in no way "westernised" in a way whereby I fit well into the American culture. I do okay though, right?

The American culture is a lot of things - Hobo, homo, ghetto, bangwithfriend.com, and today, the Harlem Shake. It is amusing to be exposed to a culture like this, fun to say the least, but while I think being a temporal part of the 5% Asians in U.S. displaces me in a way I can't quite explain, a bunch of the white Americans are soaking in the Asian-ness. I was brought up to be disciplined, respectful, kind, thoughtful and sensitive. And these are values intertwined with my oriental personality, of which I'm not sure if Americans will ever appreciate. But it sure is nice to see them being into Oriental tradition, as I saw at the 114th Chinatown New Year's Parade.

Even Minions from Despicable Me 2 came to join in the fun. This shocked looking minion was so stuck and uncomfortable that when it tried to move his arms, it barely managed a little wave. 

LAPD horses looking suave (: Wait, why're the officers part of the parade again?


One of my favourite photos I caught that afternoon in Chinatown. Ang Mo kid in his little oriental get-up and being attracted to the Asian crowd. Well because most of us were given the lions money through their mouth flaps right. Duh.

For the past 23 years of my life, being part of an oriental tradition hasn't got me to appreciate it very much. I used to visit temples a lot and on every major Chinese festival there was. Over the years, we just grew tired of traditional rituals. Yet this year, I found myself drawn to it and I was glad I went. Brought me much peace and reassurance just by burning those few joss sticks.



That Saturday was probably one of the best I've had since being in Los Angeles. The evening was spent with a couple of friends watching the Spank! Musical down at LA Live - A Fifty Shades of Grey Parody. It was absolutely hilarious! Loved every bit of it, though I was disappointed how little props were used. Was kinda expecting something a little more grand for my eyes to really feast on you know? But the lines were still superb (:


Okay, so that about much sums up my 5th week in America, Day 38 and getting better. But before that, let me leave you guys with a little food. Nibble away!

Looks good, but tastes so-so. This is Miyako on Venice Blvd. Lesson learnt: Never enter restaurants where the people owning them are not from where the food is from. Get it?

Pho Palace in Chinatown, recommended by a friend. I think she kinda caught on my Pho addiction. But anyway, this was a little below average for me. Coffee was great though - a temptation I later had to suffer with my caffeine intolerant stomach. Food at ESPN Zone in LA Live later that evening was still fantastic!

Of course, a weekly masterpiece by Chef Yeo. Pan-fried chicken breast with sautéed potatoes and broccoli.

By the way American dudes, the way to pronounce Yeo is "YO". It is that cool, face it. It is however, not a lame "yow", like how you're all saying now in your heads. Say that to me again and I'll hate you officially.


Now, go! Have a great week ahead, wherever you are. Live like a king/queen ♕
xx.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Template developed by Confluent Forms LLC; more resources at BlogXpertise