Wednesday, February 6, 2013

#6 The borrowed prison

Before I do this short mid-week post, just thought I'd share with you that my posts are averaging at 50 views each! Yay (: If you like what you read or see, please share them with your friends too, on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or wherever. Support Chinglee's work! Thanks a bunch y'all ♥ Of course, I wouldn't know how many of you do multiple visits a week to this page, so the 50 views don't really account for 50 people. But still, thank you (:

I had wanted to start this off in a real energetic fashion, but now I'm just tired from vacuuming my carpeted floor. There was so much friction involved and the vacuum cleaner was so heavy! If you are furnishing a new apartment or home, one word of advice? Don't carpet your floors. The pretty look isn't worth it.

So the sun's up in SoCal at 17 degree celsius this Wednesday evening. It's Day 26 in Los Angeles and I hope you're doing as great, or even better than I am. Last week flew by, because believe it or not, I was out with people and was also making new friends. Now my social circle in LA has expanded by two-inches. Be proud! Westwood's a great new hangout place, being a little town on the fringe of UCLA. I love Diddy Riese, and well I guess Brewery Co. will be the next best spot! There was also a small (expensive) cafe, sandwiched in between other shops, just down the road from Diddy Riese. I was surprised it actually took me four trips to Westwood to find this place! I must've been so blinded by Diddy Riese. Damn you, DR.

A really chic cafe with good tea and pastry. If you ever travel down to Westwood, keep a lookout for this place. I couldn't tell you which street it is on, did not notice.

All my great finds are to do with food, very rarely will they be of something else. I've been so obsessed with Vietnamese Pho ever since I tried the awesome one at Citadel Mall, so I googled and came in touch with Pho Show along Sepulveda Blvd.

As usual, I was being greedy. There it is, my brunch for that day: seafood spring rolls with steak and meatballs pho. I was so excited to see the rawness in that thinly sliced beef! Succulent but the soup wasn't superb. Pho Show would for sure, have to come second to Pho Bistro at Citadel. I told myself after the meal that I was going to skip dinner - I lied.

The most intriguing part of the week was probably the visit to a small baptist church near Westwood. I met new people - of course always happy to do that - but I can't quite put into words my experience. I'm not Christian, nor am I bounded to any religion at all. But I've studied and seen many. Sitting on that bench - ears on the pastor and eyes on sleeping visitors and active smartphone users - one of the pastor's line struck me, hard. 

"Heaven is the end where there isn't any suffering. This world that we live in is only but a borrowed prison."

I was overwhelmed. So I took a chill pill and pondered over this sentence, for quite a long while. In essence, we are all children of God, and this world is not our world, but a prison where we will stay till we learn how to "behave" through endless suffering. I'm not quite sure if I analysed it right, but it kind of makes sense to me. And it is scaring me how it makes some sense. What is this? Are we all in limbo right now?

By noon, I still haven't gotten an answer to my question, so I gave up and went for some good, greasy old American food at Rae's! Man, I feel like Homer Simpson right now. Apparently, this is also where many movies are filmed at. The sandwich I had smelt so darn burnt and good, I think I'm going to die soon. Imagine how much carcinogens I ingested! Hated the steak fries though. I need my shoestring, pronto. Or maybe I should just cut down on the carby fries altogether.


Been spending a huge part of my weekdays in Culver City lately, and I caught Warm Bodies the movie just last night. It was actually funny! If it is out in Singapore, do watch it. I've always complained of how expensive movie tickets are in Singapore, but I no longer will. A non-peak adult ticket is USD9.50, and a peak ticket is priced at USD11.95. Goodness me, no wonder movies make millions each time! 

St. Augustine Catholic Church, Culver City. So serene, I just love going in once in a while. But there is also this creepy, unkempt-looking guy that stands right outside the door to the prayer hall every time. He just stands there alone, doing nothing. Americans are so queer sometimes. Not all. Some.

Over the few days, work has been coming in, acting like some innocent typhoon. So with stress, comes more food laden with carbs, and with that, more money is spent, regrettably.

Honey's Kettle Fried Chicken. This was sooo good! I could've eaten ten if not for the price. This meal burnt a gigantic hole in my pocket at USD 8.91. And yes, you did not see wrong. There's only one drumstick there.

Made myself a sandwich for brunch today, also kind of proud how good my cooking skills have become. Perhaps they deteriorated due to a lack of practice in Singapore. My mum was so nice as to blame my bad U.S. cooking on the alkali-bombed tap water, haha!

Wherever you are today, being busy with whatever, I just thought I'd share one thing I came to appreciate only recently - Free communication. I'm not referring to the First Amendment here, but the freedom to speak your mind without having to feel bad or, apologising willingly without having to feel embarrassed or, lashing out at someone just because you are feeling so much angst. For years I've had many thoughts go through my mind but never come out of my mouth. If you're like me, afraid to say what you really feel, you should start trying. Don't be aggressive, just be honest and share your deepest thoughts and emotions. It is the only way people can get to know the real you. Also, do not be afraid to offend someone with your honest opinions. If they truly are your friends, they will understand when you come around to explain or apologise later.

Pull through this week of February with a smile on your face. Don't forget that!
x.

1 comment:

  1. pwah! that sandwich looks good! is it expensive to cook over there??

    ReplyDelete

Template developed by Confluent Forms LLC; more resources at BlogXpertise