Wednesday, April 24, 2013

#12 Hiatus

As you would have guessed by now, my piñata exploded and madness got strewn everywhere like colourful confetti. Over the course of the long hiatus, I have witnessed a Dodgers game, roamed LA and Las Vegas with Emily, lived a #YOLO life, and of course, took a last minute flight into Tucson, Arizona.

Still can't believe I missed the homerun because Elliot was late! Much angst. Nevertheless a great US$20 experience watching the Dodgers! M. KEMP! ♕

Two weeks ago when Ms. Emily first got to LAX! Had a blast with this girl going #yolo ♥

The Griddle Cafe, I think on Sunset Strip? Or somewhere near Hollywood. Mega good and an extremely scary portion that three of us had to share. Poached eggs on potato wedges and ham with a chocolate covered, red velvet pancake.

The day we conquered Disneyland Park and California Adventure Park in a day!

Disney California Adventure Park. Scariest rides of the day: Rollar coaster, swinging ferris wheel (do not belittle this harmless looking Mickey ride!) & the House of Horrors' (not featured in photo) elevator ride that dropped me multiple times from 12 floors up. I swear my heart flew out the cage.

Seven Natural Wonders of the World: The Grand Canyon. This picture does not do nature justice; the Canyon was much too massive and beautiful!

Of all the days of visiting theme parks, Universal Studios Hollywood was my absolute favourite. They even gave us an annual pass for the price of a day pass, and my pass features the handsome Bumblebee   ♥

No words can describe how at home I was, especially when I saw Lisa, Bart, Homer and Marge mascots. Best, day, ever!

Pretty ain't it, Beverly Hills?

The whole of the United States at Half Mast after the unfortunate Boston bombings.

Had ramen again at Yamadaya after a run to LAX sending Emily off. Saddest moment ever with a really good meal. Contradictory, I know.

As a writer, I have always had the tendency to let my mind wander. Recently, it came to a point where by I found myself painting out the life I have had in the U.S. for the past three months, and pitching it next to what might have been if I had not left. Gradually, I began to convince myself that the life I am living now, while boring at times, will be to die for in a couple of years. When I look back at all my photographs in 2015, I know for a fact that I will miss everything about LA, like how I do miss my time in Shanghai right now. Just a few days ago, I was speaking to a RSAF superior about life in LA and I frankly admitted that I disliked it here, that I would give anything just to return to Singapore for a decent job right now. While what I said then held some truth, it was also difficult to not not regret making multiple sacrifices in January, just so I could be here for half a year; if I were given another chance, I would have made the same choices. 

Remember reading The Thought Catalogue where the author mentioned how travelling and seeing the world comes at a price? He/she was right. It is not just about being lonely without friends, family, or the familiarity of your country and culture with you, but rather the fact that everyone else back home has moved along without you - they had to, so did I. Speaking to friends and family back in Singapore made me realise the value of time and how it does not stop for you. Somehow when you leave something behind, you tend to remember in your head as the last time you ever saw it - but this could not be the case with the life I used to have back home. 

Time slows for no one. And ironically the time difference of 15 long hours has put me behind everyone else's past back home! Yet strangely enough, the biggest change in life that I have felt, lied within myself, not anyone else. And I constantly scare myself into thinking how unpleasant life would be if I got myself a job back home where I can no longer see the world. I am a worry-er, but for now as I have my feet dug into the desert sands of Tucson, Arizona, I am enjoying every second of its warm breeze, each buzz of crickets and the sight of every cactus.

A cactus-fied Tuscon International Airport.

My first meal after touchdown: Vietnamese Ba Chor Mee!

Such simple life is bliss.
P/S. Do take note of the new URL!
xx.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Template developed by Confluent Forms LLC; more resources at BlogXpertise