Tuesday, March 26, 2013

#11 Comfort's a tricky limbo

First off, pictures that have been long overdue!

Say hello to this giant, US$8 masala!

Nothing like a little Chinese comfort food at Panda Express. Being there just brings some unexplainable peace and familiarity inside. Nothing close to real Chinese food by the way.

El Torino's Tacos - Steak and Halibut.

Froyooo! From Yogurtland, but this isn't as fantastic as Pink Berry though.

After weeks and weeks of seeing this on TV, I finally got my hands on the NORM's Bigger, Better Breakfast. Awesome stuff and giant portion that lasted two meals!

Coco 奶茶 in Los Angeles. Who would've seen that coming?! This shop was the very thing that made me balloon in Shanghai. I have to now, approach with caution.

Indian lunch at Jasmine's on Sepulveda. Very, very awesome US$5.99 keema curry, naan and tandori. I'm drooling just looking at this photo! Craving it right now.

& Here is where all fatties truly unite; we spotted a new Danish pastry shop on Washington Blvd!

I can't believe that for the past 22 years of my life, I haven't had a single bagel. How did I even manage that? Bagels are amazing. Onion bagels with cream cheese? Even better!

I made a new Sheriff friend from LA County through my court issued subpoena.

Hold the reigns on your horses, and give way to the infamous In-N-Out burger!! Stay away from their fries though, they're horrible.

A quiet couple of hours at the Conservatory doing work is always ideal, but a little too pricey for the everyday, I'd say.

Norm's competitor, iHop. Amazinggg! I freakin' love American diners, they're like my everything in LA. This iHop eat was much cleaner and less greasy than at Norm's.

Our lunch after a trip to Mattress Land - Hula Burger at Islands Cafe. Excellent burger and the endless fries are to die for! This is why I never succeed in losing weight. So what if I'm running 2.4km each morning right? Fatty.

I was literally starving the other day, so I made this little turkey wrap for myself at 4 p.m.

I have not been around much lately, work has just been piling on. So these photos just about sum up my recent couple of days! Now for limbo talk.


I adapt quickly to things, but I'm not a fan of change. You will have to admit that at times change is good - a breath of fresh air just to keep your mind from going stale doing mundane day-to-day chores. And they were right to also say that we always gain some and lose some; no matter how positive the change may be, it will come at a price.

Family, boyfriend, friends, comfort foods - all of these comfortable familiarity gone overnight. Well life is just and balanced only when you get both the pluses and minuses right?

I have learnt the habit of reminding myself that memories are not evil, but past experiences to help me appreciate the present better. Many times, I felt lost in Los Angeles all by myself, and I start to wonder why I am even here. But I catch myself before I spiral into heavy nostalgia, which leads to sadness, then depression. Moving on and adapting to change is not easy, but the thing about change is that it is a choice for most of us, where we eventually agree and allow it to happen. Since it was a choice made by me, I grew the backbone to commit to it. Sure, I miss home sometimes and take a minute or two to just roll in that memory of comfort. But I snap out of it by asking myself the following:

(1) Did I opt for this change for positive reasons?
(2) Go back to 2012, would I have made the same choice?
(3) Would being where I am now matter a year later in 2014? Or even for the rest of my life?

The three yeses to these questions motivates me to keep on going - to pursue what I was initially here for. The memory of the comfort of home is always there and it is a tricky limbo which all of us run risk of falling, or have fallen into. Think back to the last time you ever asked yourself what's next in life? Or the cliche, "If I die tomorrow, will my glass be half full or half empty?". If you have never asked yourself the former and the answer to your glass is half empty, then maybe it is time to get out of that comfort limbo and starting changing things.

#YOLO - You only live once. I remember writing about life as a moving train that never stops; you would have to either run the risk of getting hurt and get on it, or be left behind in the tunnel of darkness. A lot of this has helped shape my perspective on things and on fear, especially when I'm met with difficult decisions. It definitely helps to take a minute and think to yourself, "Would this matter a year from now?" (Carlson, R., 1997). We all get a little too comfortable and fear change sometimes, but seriously, we all only live once. Whether or not you believe in reincarnation, it does not matter because the mind is no longer the same and it is a whole new life altogether even if you are eventually reborn.

Fearing the unknown effects of change justifies comfort, and comfort stops us short from reaching our potentials. But come on, you did not spend 15 years of our lives tortured in classrooms and by homework to settle with comfortable! Believe that you can do better - we always can.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Template developed by Confluent Forms LLC; more resources at BlogXpertise